Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Homemade Bread


The lovely blonde loaf rising atop the stove, the smell of baking yeast bread pervading the house, the taste of the soft warm slice or slices.
I really missed bread, packaged brown rice just isn't the same. This recipe is easier and quicker than traditional gluten bread. I mix it in my Kitchen Aid mixer, put in a greased pan (I do not even let it rise in the pan), then bake (whereas traditional wheat bread has to be kneaded with a dough hook or by hand, put in a bowl to rise, then pushed down, formed and put in the pan to rise again, and then baked of course). I use Bob's Red Mills Homemade Wonderful Bread Mix. I used to eat 100% whole wheat bread, so I feel kind of guilty with this "white" looking bread. I am still hoping to find something that tastes like Orowheat Whole Wheat bread, but my past efforts at homemade 100% whole wheat bread were hit and miss, mostly miss. We have tried Bob's Red Mills Hearty Whole Grain Bread but it is tastes more like Rye or Pumpernickle than Whole Wheat, I really do like it for a chicken salad sandwhich though. Both mixes are available at my store, no Sunday purchases please. I am thankful to God for gluten-free bread. Luke 4:4 "But Jesus answered him, saying, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.’"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bread looks delicious! I bought a bread maker awhile back with a gluten-free option but never got into using it much. Recently craving bread and thinking about pulling out the bread maker! I think that picture inspired me! Love the theme of your blog...and that you are a Christian :-)

Katie

Wendy said...

Looks wonderful! I just bought my first loaf of rice bread and can't even get past the smell! lol I think if I smear it with honey or peanut butter I might be able to survive. Also thinking about dunking it in egg and making french toast in the morning. Basically, trying to mask the unappealing texture and smell.

I'll have to try this brand though. Looks very good!